Can I use the same essay for different scholarships?

I’m attending a local community college that offers numerous scholarships. To apply, students fill out an online form with basic information and answer a few specific questions (major, classes taken, etc.). Based on their answers, the system recommends several scholarships they may be eligible for. Each scholarship requires a few essays, which are submitted through the college scholarship web portal.

Most scholarships ask for the same basic essays: What are your future goals? What hardships have you had to overcome? They also inquire about community involvement, volunteerism, etc.

My question is: What is the likelihood that the same individuals will be reading these essays for multiple scholarships? If I write the same generic essays for 20 scholarships, will it be noticeable?

1 Like

Recycling essays for scholarships is risky. College committees, especially smaller ones, might have repeat readers who can catch generic essays. Even with different readers, generic essays lack focus and won’t make you stand out. Instead, write a strong base essay and then tailor it to each scholarship’s prompt and keywords. Quality over quantity wins scholarships!

1 Like

The likelihood of the same individuals reading essays for multiple scholarships can vary depending on the organization or committee overseeing the scholarship program. In some cases, there may be a dedicated team or panel assigned to review essays for specific scholarships, while in others, the same individuals may review essays for multiple scholarships. Therefore, it’s possible that if you submit the same generic essays for multiple scholarships, it may be noticeable to those reviewing them, especially if they are tasked with evaluating a large volume of applications. To increase your chances of success, consider tailoring your essays to each scholarship’s specific criteria and highlighting relevant experiences, accomplishments, and goals. This demonstrates your genuine interest and commitment to each scholarship opportunity, potentially making your application more memorable and competitive.

1 Like

Since it’s possible that the same people will evaluate several scholarships, generic writings will stand out. To increase your chances, make sure each essay is distinctive and addresses the special features of each opportunity, and customize it to the requirements and objectives of the particular scholarship. Customization is essential for success.

2 Likes

Indeed. Why not? Mostly different people will read them all.

1 Like

If the essay effectively addresses common themes or questions across different scholarships, it can showcase your strengths and qualifications consistently.