How do I state a personal statement?

I am writing a 750-word personal statement covering my academic goals, career objectives, and how this scholarship would benefit me. Should I start with an anecdote, a general statement, dialogue, or just address the questions directly? I can answer the prompt questions, but after reading other personal statements online, I am confused about the best approach. Any advice?

1 Like

I hear you, writing a personal statement can be tough, especially when you see all these different approaches online! Here’s the thing: there’s no single “best” way to start your statement, but there are definitely some strong opening hooks that will grab the reader’s attention.

• Hook the reader with a strong opening - anecdote, specific statement, etc. Be yourself and keep it relevant.
  • Don’t worry about answering prompt questions right away, a good intro will lead there.
  • Focus on showing your passion and skills with examples.
  • Proofread carefully!
1 Like

Start by perusing online examples of strong personal statements to get a feel for what works and what doesn’t.

1 Like

My approach, at least to begin, is to address the question directly. Don’t waste time attempting to compose a Pulitzer Prize-winning piece; instead, make your point. Consider the best (concise) essay writing, where you incorporate the important points in your first thesis statement and then build on them.

When you’re finished, think about a few “hook” starts, such as a tale. But I would not let that get in the way of just saying what you want to convey.