How many scholarships are you all applying to, and what strategies are you using to manage the application process effectively?

Hey everyone, how many scholarships are you all applying for? It would be helpful if some of you could share a rough estimate of how many scholarships you applied to before receiving any funds.

Personally, I’ve applied to about 50 scholarships since last fall. I got rejected from 5 and still waiting to hear back from the rest. Next month, I’m planning to apply for around 60 more.

As a senior dealing with a heavy workload, it’s starting to get pretty stressful. How many scholarships do you think I should apply for before considering giving up? And for those of you applying, what strategies are you using to handle the application process effectively?

2 Likes

As someone who graduated high school stressed about finances and regrets not applying for more scholarships, my advice is simple: keep applying.

Instead of focusing on rejections, aim for acceptances and awards. If you face rejection, the best response is to move forward and apply to the next opportunity.

It can be disheartening to see your hard work on an application go unrewarded for reasons you may not understand. However, this is part of life and a learning experience. Some people revise their essays after rejection to better align them with the scholarship’s requirements.

The key is to refine your approach: revise, seek feedback from friends, adults, professors, or even Reddit users, and continually improve your essays. Never stop applying because you never know which application might secure that winning scholarship.

To stay organized, create a spreadsheet listing all the scholarships you’re applying for. Include links to applications, deadlines, potential awards, checklists of required materials, and any other important details.

Additionally, save each response you craft for scholarships. This repository can be invaluable when you need to adapt an essay for a similar prompt in the future.

1 Like

Hey there! I have three scholarship application essays, each around 500 words, that I’d like to get feedback on. Some of the content is quite personal, and I’m hesitant to share it with friends or teachers. Would you suggest posting a request for feedback from Reddit users who might be willing to help? I’m a bit concerned about the possibility of my essays being taken and used elsewhere, is that something that happens often?

1 Like

Well, what I usually recommend is taking those essays to teachers or other trusted adults. It could be any adult since they won’t benefit from it directly. Also, I wouldn’t stress too much about your essay being stolen because it should be so uniquely yours that no one else could claim it as theirs. (Though, unfortunately, there are still some people who do that, so it’s good to be cautious.)

In my opinion: I wouldn’t post it on Reddit unless you trust the person and are sure they won’t benefit from keeping your essay. Personally, I can review your essay, but I haven’t personally won scholarships through essay applications (I’m not that persuasive on paper, but I’m a strong candidate in other ways).

Consider approaching your high school teachers or someone who enjoys writing and reading.

1 Like

Thank you so much! I didn’t attend high school and had a very isolated childhood, so I lack good teachers or adults in my life. However, you’ve given me a couple of ideas of people I can reach out to, so I appreciate that. :slight_smile: Your advice means a lot to me!

1 Like

You’re welcome! And I apologize for making that assumption. However, you can still ask various people for feedback! The key is to have others read your essay so you can ensure that awarding you would benefit both you and the company/organization/etc., as they would want you to represent them positively.

Continue applying even after high school or after making your college decision. There are still scholarship opportunities available for undergraduate students