Is there a payment for the year you apply for the DoD SMART scholarship?

I’m exploring the SMART scholarship offered by the DoD for STEM students in a few years. I believe I have the grades and qualifications for both the scholarship and higher-tier schools (ones I couldn’t afford without it). Since you can’t apply for SMART in your senior year of high school but must apply as a college freshman, I’m curious if the scholarship covers that application year. Committing to a school I can’t afford alone is risky, and I’m not keen on drowning in debt for education. I’ve searched for answers with little luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated! :mortar_board::mag: Help from SMART scholars would be fantastic

The application window for SMART Scholarships opens annually from August 1 through December 1. During this period, you can submit your application and all required materials.You cannot apply during your senior year of high school. Instead, you must apply as a college freshman or while pursuing a graduate degree at a regionally accredited U.S. college or university.
The scholarship covers a minimum of 1 year and a maximum of 5 years of funding, depending on degree requirements.
For every year of degree funding, you commit to working for a year with the DoD as a civilian employee (one-for-one commitment).