Thoughts on the National Society of Collegiate Scholars

Hey everyone,

I just got an invitation to join the National Society of Collegiate Scholars. Is it worth it? Has anyone here been a member, and what was your experience like? I’m trying to decide if it’s a good opportunity or just another thing to add to my resume.

3 Likes

No, it’s a fraud. Emails informing recipients that they have been nominated for membership in the group are sent to everyone with a GPA higher than 3.0. But there are fees associated with joining, and there are various grades. Put an end to their emails. It is a fraud.

3 Likes

Unless you’re invited through your school’s honor society chapter, it’s best not to trust it. You can also check with your student life or admissions counselor for details on joining honor societies. For this particular society, you need a minimum GPA of 3.4, and I know my school required me to have at least 12 credits before qualifying for membership. The school will send invitations through student life. There is a one-time Lifetime membership fee of around $97. If your school is affiliated with this honor society, you should be able to find their website through your school’s student life section. Lastly, be cautious about any honor society reaching out to you directly; only join through your school.

2 Likes

I remember feeling proud and excited when I received that same invite, but over ten years later, the only thing that stands out about NSCS is the $75 membership fee. Ouch.

I definitely missed out on various opportunities during my university years, and this might be another one of them. I think I’m inclined to agree with others here, it might not be worth much.

1 Like

From what I’ve heard, it’s not really necessary, it’s legitimate, but it feels a bit like a scam. It’s similar to college in that you don’t absolutely need it, but the resources and connections could be useful eventually. However, most people manage just fine without it.