What are some scholarships available for adults returning to college?

Hey everyone, sorry if this has come up before, but I could really use some advice. My boyfriend (25 M) is going back to college as a freshman after a failed attempt back in 2017.

He’s applying for financial aid, aiming for a Pell grant, but we know those can be tough to secure. I want to help him find other scholarships he might qualify for, but since he’s not coming straight from high school, I’m not sure where to start. Any suggestions or tips would be amazing, thanks!

3 Likes

It’s great that your boyfriend is returning to college, and it’s commendable that you’re supporting him in his endeavors! While Pell Grants can be competitive, there are many other scholarship opportunities available for non-traditional students like him.

3 Likes

As a scholarship recipient, I understand the challenge of securing funds for returning students. Here are some resources I found useful: Soroptimist’s Live Your Dream Award, Nashville Athena Scholarships, GRCF Altrusa International of Grand Rapids Scholarship, Herbert Lehman Education Fund Scholarship, AAUW Returning Scholar Scholarship, AAUW Re-Entry Women Scholarship and Arizona BPW Foundation Scholarship. Many colleges and employers also provide scholarships and you can find more opportunities through various resources. Your life experiences may also offer you an advantage in essay-based scholarships.