What are the best scholarships out there for someone like me to apply for?

So, I might be a bit behind the curve here, but I’ve finally started looking into scholarships. I’ve applied to a bunch of college-specific ones and actually got some decent merit aid from my top choice. But I haven’t really explored outside scholarships much, except for the Burger King Scholars haha. My Expected Family Contribution covers pretty much the whole cost, so I’m not eligible for need-based scholarships. And while I’m queer, I’m not comfortable disclosing that on applications, and as a nonbinary person, I don’t want to compete for scholarships meant for women.

So, how do I find scholarships that fit my situation? I’ve sifted through a ton already, but very few seem to be a good match. I’m hoping to find something substantial since the smaller ones don’t make much of a dent in my EFC. Any tips on where to look or specific scholarships I should be considering?

Thanks for any help!

I can’t tell you exactly which scholarships are the “best” because it depends on you!

There are tons of scholarships out there, each with its own requirements and target audience. But I can definitely help you with your search. Here’s a battle plan:

Step 1: Know Yourself

Academics: What are your grades and test scores like? Strong academic performance opens doors to many scholarships.
Activities: Do you participate in sports, clubs, or volunteer work? Scholarships often reward well-rounded individuals.
Background: Are you a minority student, a first-generation college student, or facing financial hardship? These qualities can make you eligible for specific scholarships.
Goals: What do you plan to study? Scholarships often target specific majors or career paths.

Step 2: Cast a Wide Net

General Scholarship Sites: There are tons of websites that list scholarships. [bold.org] is a great place to start, but there are many others.
College Websites: Every college and university has its own scholarship page. These scholarships are often a great fit because they consider your specific school and program.
Industry Associations: Professional organizations might offer scholarships for students interested in their field. For example, the American Chemical Society offers scholarships for chemistry majors.

Step 3: Apply Strategically

Read Carefully: Don't waste time on scholarships you don't qualify for! Read all the eligibility requirements before you apply.
Match Your Values: Look for scholarships that support your goals and interests. This will make your application essay stronger.
Meet Deadlines: Missing deadlines is a surefire way to get rejected. Set calendar reminders and track your applications.

Bonus Tip: Don’t be afraid to apply for scholarships that seem out of reach! The worst they can say is no, and the best-case scenario is free money for college.

By following these steps, you’ll find scholarships that are a great fit for you.

Pay attention to larger scholarships—such as those based on extracurricular activities, community service, or education—that aren’t dependent on any particular demographic or level of need. Make use of scholarship search tools such as Scholarships.com and Fastweb. Seek for professional groups within the subject of study you wish to pursue, since they frequently provide funding opportunities. Wishing you luck!

It’s fantastic that you’re exploring scholarships and already have some merit aid secured.
Tips to find scholarships tailored to your situation:

1. Scholarship search engines: Utilize platforms like Fastweb, CollegeBoard Scholarship Search, and Unigo Scholarships. Input your criteria, such as major, GPA, ethnicity, and interests, to discover potential scholarships.
  2. Focus on merit-based scholarships: Given your EFC covers most costs, prioritize scholarships based on academic achievement, extracurricular involvement, talents, or skills. Many colleges offer merit-based aid alongside need-based assistance.
  3. Explore interest-based scholarships: Research scholarships aligned with your hobbies, extracurricular activities, or academic pursuits. From music and art to engineering and computer science, there are scholarships for various interests and talents.
  4. Look into local scholarships: Check with your local library, school guidance counselor, or community organizations for scholarships available to students in your area. These scholarships can be valuable sources of financial support.